Collect and analyze statistical data on the film and audiovisual market
Data collection initiative, in cooperation with the European Audiovisual Observatory, covering the markets of nine South Mediterranean countries
Improving the understanding and strengthening of the film and audiovisual markets is a priority of the Euromed Audiovisual Programme III of the European Union and its Capacity Development Support Unit (CDSU).
A data collection initiative covering the markets of nine Mediterranean countries (Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Syria, the Palestine and Tunisia) has been set up thanks to cooperation between Euromed Audiovisual III and the European Audiovisual Observatory.
The main objectives of this the initiative are to:
- understand the information market’s needs for statistics on the audiovisual industries in the Mediterranean area;
- pinpoint regular sources of information (both national and international), in the public and private sectors covering various areas: film, television, video, production capacity, distribution infrastructure, audiovisual piracy and public funding policy;
- identify existing data to develop a process of data collection necessary for the structuring and development of the markets in question;
- provide technical support to government bodies and the professional film and audiovisual sector in the Mediterranean area by raising awareness of the importance of collecting statistical data, as it represents a tool to promote complementarity and promote regional integration;
- identify opportunities to make this data collection a sustainable, on-going process.
This project is implemented by Sahar Ali, Project Officer, Capacity Development Support Unit (CDSU). André Lange, Head of the Department for Information on Markets and Financing of the European Audiovisual Observatory (http://www.obs.coe.int/) will provide methodological guidance for the project.
Presentations of the project results:
- On May 21, 2012, at the "Pavillon du Cinéma du Monde", Cannes 2012. this presentation focused on the Egyptian audiovisual and film market, revealing important statistical data : 544 film institutions, 378 films produced between 2002 and 2011, 121 satellite channels...
Download the reports:
Publication schedule of the reports:
The data collection and analysis reports related to Lebanon will be available soon at the Web site!.