Collect and analyze statistical data on the film and audiovisual market
Data collection initiative, in cooperation with the European Audiovisual Observatory, covering the markets of nine South Mediterranean countries
Improving the understanding and strengthening of the film and audiovisual markets is a priority of the Euromed Audiovisual III programme of the European Union and its Capacity Development Support Unit (CDSU).
A data collection initiative covering the markets of nine Mediterranean countries (Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia) has been set up thanks to cooperation between Euromed Audiovisual III and the European Audiovisual Observatory.
Download the reports:
- Report on Lebanon (EN, AR, FR)
- Report on Morocco (EN, AR, FR)
- Report on Egypt (EN, AR, FR)
- Report on Palestine (EN, AR, FR)
Report on Jordan will be soon available. Other countries from the region are expected by the end of March.
The main objectives of this the initiative are to:
- understand the information market’s needs for statistics on the audiovisual industries in the Mediterranean area;
- pinpoint regular sources of information (both national and international), in the public and private sectors covering various areas: film, television, video, production capacity, distribution infrastructure, audiovisual piracy and public funding policy;
- identify existing data to develop a process of data collection necessary for the structuring and development of the markets in question;
- provide technical support to government bodies and the professional film and audiovisual sector in the Mediterranean area by raising awareness of the importance of collecting statistical data, as it represents a tool to promote complementarity and promote regional integration;
- identify opportunities to make this data collection a sustainable, on-going process.
This project is implemented by Sahar Ali, Project Officer, Capacity Development Support Unit (CDSU). André Lange, Head of the Department for Information on Markets and Financing of the European Audiovisual Observatory (http://www.obs.coe.int/) will provide methodological guidance for the project.
At the Tunis meeting, the expert group established the goals for a South Mediterranean Audiovisual Observatory
The Euromed Audiovisual III programme of the European Union and the European Audiovisual Observatory, in collaboration with the Arab States Broadcasting Union (ASBU) held the 1st meeting of the expert group on television and on-demand audiovisual services in Tunis on 23-24 September 2013.
During the meeting, the experts from partner programme networks adopted conclusions for the creation of a South Mediterranean Audiovisual Observatory which would collect and disseminate data on television and on-demand audiovisual services in the region.
South Mediterranean cinema experts recommend regional data collection network
Following a Euromed Audiovisual meeting in Casablanca, June 20 and 21, South Mediterranean film professionals make recommendations for a regional network to collect and disseminate data on the region's film sector.
Presentations of the project results:
- Euromed Audiovisual to attend London's Film Africa 2013, November 3: Euromed Audiovisual is to attend London's Film Africa for the first time this year on Sunday, where it is to introduce the event's guests the results for its data collection project on South Mediterranean film and audiovisual markets.During the festival's industry forum The Business of Film in Africa, Dr. Sahar Ali will review progresses made in gathering data from South Mediterranean countries, with a particular focus on findings for the film markets in Egypt and Morocco.
- The Euromed Audiovisual III programme together with its partners, the European Audiovisual Observatory (EAO), the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), and the Permanent Conference of Mediterranean Audiovisual Operators (COPEAM), presented their audiovisual market data collection project at the 89th session of the ASBU's Executive Council in Tunis, on June 10. A special attention was paid to the project sustainability after the end of the Euromed Audiovisual III Programme, in January 2014.
- For the first time in Brussels Euromed Audiovisual presents data on South Mediterranean film and audiovisual markets at the seminar for journalists entitled “Two years on Euro-Mediterranean Relations and the Arab Spring”, June 5, 2013
- Presentation of the report on film and audiovisual industry in Lebanon at the Cannes International Film Festival 2013, on May 20
- Presentation of the report on the film and audiovisual sector in Morocco at the 19th edition of the Tetouan International Mediterranean Film Festival, on March 29, 2013 under the panel "Co-produce in the Mediterranean".
- On May 21, 2012, at the "Pavillon du Cinéma du Monde", Cannes 2012. this presentation focused on the Egyptian audiovisual and film market, revealing important statistical data : 544 film institutions, 378 films produced between 2002 and 2011, 121 satellite channels...